Why Standards Matter: My Journey into Quality and Compliance

I never used to think much about standards. Like many people, I assumed that products and services worked well simply because companies wanted to keep customers happy. But my perspective changed dramatically when I started working in an industry where quality and compliance are more than just buzzwords—they’re essential for safety, efficiency, and trust.



A Wake-Up Call on Standards

My journey into understanding the importance of standards began when I was involved in a project that required international certification. Initially, I saw it as just another bureaucratic hurdle, but I quickly realized that these standards exist to protect consumers, ensure fair competition, and maintain consistency across industries. Without them, businesses could cut corners, leading to inferior or even dangerous products.

One of the most eye-opening moments for me was learning about Small Business Standards (SBS), an association that represents and defends small and medium-sized enterprises in standardisation. Its work in standards development should be distinguished from making legislation. I came across an insightful resource on standards covering SBS priority topics, which helped me understand how standards are not just about compliance—they actually support innovation and business growth.

The Real-World Impact

Since then, I’ve made it a personal mission to stay informed about relevant standards in my industry. Whether it’s ensuring product safety, improving sustainability, or enhancing digital security, these guidelines make a tangible difference. Now, I no longer see standards as a burden but as a foundation for building credibility and long-term success.

If you’ve never considered how standards affect your business or daily life, I encourage you to look deeper. You might be surprised at how much they shape the world around us—and how valuable they can be for growth and trust.

Reviewed 26 September 2026.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IEC 62321: Substance Testing, Screening and RoHS Evidence

What Does prEN Mean? Draft Standards and Placeholder References

Genorma Eurocode Package 7: Bridge Design and Loads